Policy on Services to Persons with Disabilities
We will use reasonable efforts to ensure that our policies, practices and procedures governing the provision of its services to persons with disabilities are consistent with our commitment to providing services in a way that respects the dignity and independence of persons with disabilities.
We will use reasonable efforts to ensure that persons with disabilities are able to benefit from the same services, in the same place and in a similar way as other persons, and that persons with disabilities have opportunities equal to others to obtain, use and benefit from the our services.
We will provide information and services in accessible formats where necessary, and will communicate with persons with disabilities about their preferred mode of communication. We will answer questions our clients may have about our services and documentation by email, by telephone or by other means if telephone communication is not suitable to any person’s
communication needs or is not available.
Providing Services to Persons with Disabilities
We are committed to excellence in serving all persons, including persons with disabilities, and will carry out our functions and responsibilities by:
- communicating with persons with disabilities in ways that take into account their disability;
- serving persons with disabilities who use assistive devices;
- ensuring that persons with disabilities who are accompanied by their guide dog or other service animal are permitted to enter our premises with the animal and to keep the animal with them;
- ensuring that persons with disabilities who are accompanied by a support person are
permitted to enter our premises with their support person, and will not at any time be
prevented from having access to their support person while on our premises, provided that
the support person may be required to sign a confidentiality agreement; and
- ensure that our staff is trained and familiar with various assistive devices that may be used
- by persons with disabilities while accessing our services.
Notice of Temporary Disruption
We will notify the public in the event of a planned or unexpected disruption in the facilities or services usually used by persons with disabilities. This notice will include information about the reason for the disruption, its anticipated duration, and a description of alternative facilities or services, if available. The notice will be posted at all public entrances and service counters at our premises, or will be communicated by such method as is reasonable in the circumstances.
Training for Staff
We will train our staff on the provision of our services to persons with disabilities. This training will be provided as soon as practicable after a staff person commences his or her duties. We will provide training on an ongoing basis when changes are made to our policies, practices and procedures governing the provision of services to persons with disabilities. The training provided will include:
- an overview of the AODA and the requirements of the customer services standard;
- how to interact and communicate with persons with various types of disabilities;
- how to interact with people with disabilities who use an assistive device or require the
- assistance of a service animal or support person;
- how to use or access the equipment or devices available on our premises or otherwise which may help with the provision of goods or services to persons with disabilities;
- what to do if a person with a particular type of disability is having difficulty accessing our services; and
- our policies, practices and procedures relating to the Customer Services Standard.
Feedback Process, Questions
We welcome any feedback regarding the methods we use to provide goods and services to persons with disabilities, and will respond to questions about this policy. Individuals may provide their feedback in person, by telephone, in writing, or by delivering an electronic text by e-mailing email@example.com. Such inquirers can expect to hear back as soon as possible.
Complaints will be addressed according to our regular complaint management procedures.
Availability of this Policy and Other Documentation in Other Forms
We will endeavour to provide this policy, and other documentation, in an alternative format if requested, as soon as reasonably possible. An alternative format could include an audio or visual recording, large print, CD-ROM, etc.
Modification to this or Other Policies
Any policy of ours that does not respect and promote the dignity and independence of people with disabilities will be modified or removed. Changes will not be made to this policy unless the impact of the changes on persons with disabilities has been considered.
Otherwise, we reserve the right to amend, modify, supplement, terminate or replace this policy at any time and from time to time and we encourage you to refer back to this policy regularly. employees may be notified of changes to this policy by way of a paper memorandum circulated at the employer’s premises, by way of an e-mail delivered to employees’ employment e-mail addresses or last known e-mail addresses, by letter delivered to employees’ last known addresses, by posting in a conspicuous place at the employer’s premises or by posting on any employee website or electronic portal maintained by the employer for its employees.
To view information in an alternative format please contact:
Human Resources Manager
Bercon Rentals Inc.
420 Grays Rd.
Hamilton, ON L8E 4H6